With 15 years of helping new employers, we at Stafftax are your one-stop advice centre for everything employment related. Becoming an employer requires a certain amount of administration besides payroll, so we have devised a first time employer checklist to help you.
1. Set a salary – decide how much you will pay your employee. You should set a gross salary to protect your costs. Gross is the net (take-home) pay plus tax and employee's National Insurance.
2. Know your total costs – your total costs will be the gross salary plus employer's National Insurance.
3. Holiday – decide how much annual leave you will give your employee. The statutory minimum for a full time employee is 5.6 weeks per year including bank holidays (28 days for a 5-day week) – see here for details.
4. Check your employee is entitled to work in the UK – see here for the checks you are required to make.
5. Employment Contract – you are required by law to have one in place within eight weeks of your employee's start date. Stafftax will provide this for all customers.
6. Insurance – you are required by law to have Employers' Liability Insurance in case your employee has an accident at work.
7. Pension – recent legislation requires that all qualifying employees must be provided with an 'Auto Enrolment' Workplace Pension. This is something Stafftax can do for you. See here for details.